A nostalgic favourite with many modern possibilities!
3 1/2 cups Milk 2 tbs Sugar or Honey 1 Vanilla Bean or 1 tsp Vanilla Extract 3/4 cup (150g) White Short or Medium Grain Rice (Koshihikari, Arborio or Calrose) 1-2 tsp Ground Nutmeg or Cinnamon
- Combine milk, sugar and vanilla bean in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Gradually stir in rice, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove vanilla bean.
- Sprinkle with ground nutmeg and serve warm or chilled with fresh or canned fruit or for something different, stir some Greek style yoghurt through cooked rice and replace nutmeg with ground lemon myrtle.
Other simple variations
- Baked rice: Combine ingredients in a lightly greased dish, cover with lid or foil and bake in a moderate oven (180°C) until rice is tender.
- For a richer texture replace half the milk with cream; coconut milk or coconut cream; orange juice and grated orange zest.
- Cook rice with grated or shredded lemon zest; cinnamon stick, cloves and sultanas; mixed peel & toasted almonds; fresh or canned fruit (rhubarb, peaches, apricots, apples).
- Simmer 120g sugar with 60mls water in a saucepan until golden. Pour over creamed rice for a creamed rice brulee.
Brigid Treloar Food Consultant and author. This recipe was featured by John Clarke ABC Newcastle NSW