Apply native flavours to any type of dish.
18 fresh Lemon Myrtle leaves 5 cups of boiling water 270 ml coconut cream 2 small roasted red chillies 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger 1 teaspoon ground Lemon Myrtle 1 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon fish sauce Olive oil 100 gm bean sprouts 300 gm silken organic tofu -cubed, roll in rice flour and shallow fry in olive oil 500 gm green prawns de veined, shelled and tails on ¼ cup fresh coriander 200gms snow peas Small packet (100gm) vermicelli noodles
- To make the Lemon Myrtle stock pour 5 cups of boiling water onto 15 fresh Lemon Myrtle leaves and allow to stand for 24 hours. Remove the leaves bar three. Add the coconut cream to the lemon myrtle stock and allow to stand.
- Brush the chillies in olive oil and cook under the grill till a slightly burnt, remove the head and cut in half, remove seeds. Peel the skin from the chillies & dice, along with the flesh and add to the stock with grated ginger and fish sauce. The longer you leave to stand the stronger the chilli flavour.
- Place the vermicelli noodles in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for 10 minutes to soak. Drain and set aside.
- Roll cubed tofu into rice flour and shallow fry in olive oil. Drain and set aside.
- Bring stock to the boil and simmer for two minutes adding ground lemon myrtle. Add the green prawns, tofu and snow peas and cook for 2 minutes before adding 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Divide the noodles between serving bowls, top with the bean sprouts and chopped coriander. Pour the laksa soup over the noodles, dividing the seafood, snow peas and tofu equally among the bowls. Garnish with coriander, chilli and lemon myrtle leaf.
Prize winning recipe
Northern Rivers Herb Festival Margaret Purcell, Lennox Head